Wednesday 18 September 2013

September....

is a melancholy month for me. It's the month my dad died and it's also the month I always feel I should be starting something new, like school. I was a student for so long  ( 9 years of post secondary) that it's kind of ingrained into me September = school. I get restless and kind of peevish and above all melancholy. I must admit if I still lived in Canada ( and had the dosh) I'd probably be working on another degree and probably linguistics but here I'm not sure what I want to do so we've kind of left it alone. Now we can't do that any more, I can't do that any more. I've reached that "I'm bored out of my mind." stage. Let's face it house work isn't that big of a challenge and being on my own almost all the time, as much as I enjoy my quiet, is not always the healthiest thing. The recent week long visit from my minion and surrogate kid showed me what I'm missing. That contact to another bright spark who helps stir imagination and gets me off the couch. So himself and i talked about this last  night because it's showing now, that sadness, that restlessness to do something more, to be something more and the solution is pretty simple. A bicycle and language courses.

A bicycle so I'm more mobile than I am now. We live in the back of beyond as far as German public transportation standards go and while I love to walk 6km to the nearest bus stop is too much even for me. But I could easily cycle to the local train station and from there go anywhere. ( that has rails). So maybe this weekend we will go bicycle shopping and see what's available and sign up for a Japanese language course because right now that's at the top of my list and it has a bit of a time limit. There's a Japanese artist coming to Fedcon next year and I'd really like to be able to say at least the very basic to him without a translator. After that on my list is Swedish, and then to get my French and Italian up to speed and after that who knows tho Russian is also on that list. So this is my small list of things and even just planning helps to alleviate some of the stagnation I currently feel.  

The bottom line is I really miss university and in my heart I'm a forever student.


No comments:

Post a Comment

tales from the dark side...